Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Pokomoke

 Wednesday September 23   

Up at first light and watched as Steve struck his tent. He sailed by and said he was headed east to the Pokomoke Sound. Wanting to rest up longer I stayed, cooking breakfast, sorting gear and let the cockpit tent dry before storing. These times down below looking at the calm water as the sun warms the deck are some of my favorite moments. It ties me to my personal sailing heritage that has given me much.

Cast off 0845. N wind and beam reach E across Tangier Sound. Crossed over bar south of Fox Island mapping coordinates between the GPS and the chart to miss shallows. Nice reach into Pokomoke Sound and on to the west end of Robin Hood Bay. Anchored for lunch and received text from Steve that he was working toward Ape Hole Creek on the north shore of the bay back to the W. Having planned previously to head N after wind changes I tacked WNW into the wind and tide. Made good progress but opted to motor sail the last mile in order to anchor in daylight. We rafted up for dinner and I noticed a snake wrapped around the outboard. We agreed that it was a nonvenomous water snake that was attracted to the warmth the motor. Released and anchored, played guitar and read.

23.9 n miles


at anchor




Guest



'catch and release'




No comments:

Post a Comment