Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, May 22, 2014

Fog and a Song or Two

Day 4
Fog was thick in the morning so after breakfast I sculled over to talk to Peter and Mike on Nip. Little by little each boat weighed anchor and worked out into the open water off Sandy Island at the entrance to the Nanticoke River. The wind died as we migrated into the river and we collectively decided to return and sail in the open bay area. The wind increased from the south as the day wore on and Annie responded with the best sailing on the trip to that point.


Mike aboard Nip






For protection from the forecasted southwest blow we decided to raft up behind a sand bar near Dames Quarter Creek where many had put in the day before. Rafting was new to me... I am usually anchored solo. It was fun though. After a somewhat shared dinner we pulled out the instruments and took turns offering a folk tune or a sea song. I had my old Gibson LG-0 stowed in the forepeak and it sounded pretty good for a boat guitar.



Settling in for dinner




Inside the bar



Three Marsh Cats total



Out the portlight





Released from the forepeak









2 comments: