Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, May 26, 2016

Another Oldest City

Pamlico 2016    May 9   
Day 6


Overnite the wind changed. I was set up for the wester but in short time it had gone north, then around to the east. There was a bit of land about three hundred yards or so to the east but with the whole northern Pamlico Sound to fetch up on, it got bumpy. With the darkness of the new moon I decided to let out scope and stay put, not wanting to seek another anchorage. She did well rocking and bashing but left me with little sleep. I had decided to head east for Swan Quarter, fill up the fuel and continue to Ocracoke. I had a feeling that it would not be wise and aborted.

With three days left in the trip I decided to take my time and explore the Pamlico River. Tacking downwind I reached the town of Bath mid-morning. It wasn't apparent where to tie up until I saw a cruising boat that had passed me tied to a long dock. They said it was a state dock and was free for the day. I went ashore and walked the streets looking at old houses. Bath is the oldest city in North Carolina. Not anywhere as old as my previous home of St. Augustine, Florida but very well kept and interesting. I met a fellow named Jim who was photographing for the NC Department of Culural Affairs. He worked on exhibits and we had a lot of stories to share. He took me down the road to get gas and bought me lunch at the local barbecue place. A real nice guy. 

On our return I broke out to take pictures and draw on the quay. Cast off in the late afternoon and ghosted on light air upriver toward Washington until 'bug hour'. Motored into Blount Bay and anchored near the creek feed for the night.


Bath, NC


























Photo courtesy of Jim








Edward Teach's (better known as Blackbeard) house







 

No comments:

Post a Comment