Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Monday, May 26, 2014

New Friends Indeed

Day 5
As the forecast looked good for the next few days before it called for higher seas on the Bay later in the week, I decided to head back south to Smith Island for the return. Mike and Kevin Mac decided to return at the same time to Janes Island where they had launched at the state park. As we rounded the point we started beating into the SW wind. Annie's main was reefed and she made good way to windward.

As I tacked I notice that Kevin had reached north and soon out of sight. I assumed that they had had a change of plan and were going to explore. It was the last I saw of them.

After a couple of hours I rounded Deal Island and headed SSE on a reach. Janes Island is separated from the mainland by a canal. Motoring down it was hot and very buggy. After tying up at the park campground I walked around and decided to continue south in search of a cooler anchorage.



Cut by Janes Island



Reaching Crisfield, a well-known fishing town, I tied up to a restaurant in Somers Cove, the inner harbor. A couple helped me and invited me to sit with them. Still too early for crabs, I went for another piece of flounder. Just as it came we looked south to a darkening sky. A squall line was approaching and I immediately decided to move off the dock in the storm's lee. 

Quick work and little time but to motor across the harbor and drop anchor, pay out scope, sheet hard the mizzen and duck behind the dodger. It was fierce being pummeled by rain and lurched before 35-40 knot wind. In 5-10 minutes it was over.

I returned to the restaurant and retied with the help of my new friends Melissa and Mike. They had moved my dinner and I finished pretty much soaked. I owe a lot to them... they are good people.




Shedding Factory in Crisfield





Melissa and Mike



Video by Melissa


That evening an email came from Mike (with Kevin). They had been behind me as I left the campground hoping I had made shelter. In a way I did.

I anchored across the harbor for the night... with protection from the south!


Leaving Somers Cove, Crisfield, MD (next morning)
Photo: M Adkins

No comments:

Post a Comment