Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, July 7, 2011

Paint, Mud and Pubs

Last summer I was fortunate to study with David Howell in East Anglia, England. David is the current president of the Royal Society of Marine Artists and, in my estimation, the best maritime watercolorist anywhere. Here is a sample of his work and a few photos I took on our outings.

Manon & Betula-Pin Mill by David Howell, RSMA



Thames River barge at Pin Mill


A work yard temporarily revealed


"'a drop of Adnams" at the Butt and Oyster


Nested, waiting to float... Wivenhoe


Boats for Hire... River Stour, Dedham


Burial grounds... St Osyth, Essex

Shelducks working the shore

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if our east coast rivers are a thin water or fat mud paradise, either way they are perhaps our closest connection to working sail, still not over developed - We don't get there nearly enough. Annie would feel right at home there - glad you enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been been taken by English boats since I began sailing over 30 years ago. To experience them first hand in their home waters was quite a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete