Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Monday, May 19, 2014

North Sail

Day 3

We decided to head north to meet up with the "Chesapeake Float". Since the wind was out of the south we decided to retrack back to Ewell through the Big Thorofare that cuts through Smith Island. As we reached the Bay we turned north skirting the island's northwest shore. We crossed Kedges Straits and our downwind path carried us up Tangier Sound by South Marsh and Bloodworth Islands. Kevin's Marsh Cat left me further and further behind. Her light dishy hull and large gaff main made for a downwind 'machine'. At least from my position.




After several hours running wing-in-wing I rounded Deal Island to starboard. The bay at the opening of the Nanticoke River was being criss-crossed by close to a dozen small craft. I approached as they scattered and later as I collected myself we all gathered to choose an anchorage. The wind had dropped with the setting of the sun and like a flotilla we set out with some of us towing the motor-less boats. A buggy raft-up in Monie Bay, dinner, conversation and splitting off to anchor finished the day. 


Barry and his Melonseed Aeon


Kevin B in Slipjig, a Welsford Navigator



Annie towing Peter in Nip, a Caledonia Yawl



Fog setting in






No comments:

Post a Comment