Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, August 18, 2011

Varnishing

I have been spending most early mornings lately putting on coats of varnish. It's quiet and doesn't take much thinking... that's a welcome change for a guy that has his own business and usually working to keep complicated projects moving forward.

There are many ways to look at varnishing from 'why put yourself in the situation of having to do it at all' (workboat ethic) to perfection at all costs.

If you are out for "a fine shine" check out The Brightwork Companion by Rebecca Wittman. Or you can 'dip and git' like my hero Charles Stock.

I personally like varnish (I am a visual person) but don't want it to be in the way- too precious- effecting my time sailing. Annie has an edge... like other trailerable boats... she is mostly covered and away from the deterioration of the sun's UV rays. So here I am going at it.


From top down: whisker and boat hook (Home Depot closet rods), and boomkin

Mizzen mast (turned by Shaw & Tenney, Orono, Maine

Sapele washboards

1 comment:

  1. I always aspire to spars coated in poured honey, but the reality is good enough varnish, as you say it can be very therapeutic laying down a new coat after a busy day at work .

    http://bursledonblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/winter-work.html

    ReplyDelete