Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Friday, June 5, 2020

Long Day

Day 5          May 15

As morning broke and overtook the glow of Annie's anchor light, I looked up and out the screen draped companionway. The hum of a hundred mosquitoes trying to get into the cabin said it was time to head out. I looked over toward Steve and he was moving quickly to stow and go. We headed out the 'harbor' and grabbed the SW breeze around Pamlico Point. Continued through the day on broad and close reaches. Nice 10-15 knot breeze.

Far up the Pamlico River I decided to tuck in Blount's Bay and visit my friends Bones and Lu. Bones was on his dock as I approached. We talked, at a COVID distance, about my past visit and the new - to him- fishing boat he picked up this year. Strong Northwest design with lots of canvas for weather protection. He was quite stoked, but held back by the virus from trailering up to Maine for the summer. He and Lu talked without much of a breath until I said I needed to be heading back upstream. We said our goodbyes and I pressed on.

I arrived at Washington right at 1800 and anchored near Steve across from the city dock. Sweet potato with chicken & rice for dinner.    28.3 nautical miles



Steve and Spartina meet the sunrise over the Pamlico Sound




Reaching up the Pamlico River









Sculling oar on the rail












Quick sketch of Spartina





Sun protection engaged




Dinner prep


No comments:

Post a Comment