Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Resting in Ocracoke

Monday, May 10...  I slept well and awoke feeling relieved that the previous day had gone so well. I guess when you are alone and it has been years since you made a longer passage apprehension can build. But I was at my destination and ready to explore. Walked west to the lighthouse and further to a land trust nature trail that skirted the beach. I picked up a few supplies at the Community Store and called Ellie, Dad, Tom and Terry. The weather was out of the NE... clear but a steady 20. The forecast for tomorrow is 10-15 in the morning with 1-2' waves; 15-20 in the afternoon seas building 2-3'. If I can get out early it will be a good sail and we will hopefully get across for the most part in the morning hours. Set up a reef and snapped on the battery-powered running lights.

Ocracoke Lighthouse


Springers Point Nature Trail


Trail decorations (click for larger view)

Salt wood

The slow lane



2 comments:

  1. Hi Curt, I've never followed a blog before but I learned of your blog from a post by Ron Hoddinot. I have enjoyed reading of your adventures since It is possible for me to imagine that I could do something similar in my Nimble 20 when I decide to make the time to do so. I have also enjoyed learning about Annie-a lovely boat and in some ways similar to the Nimble 20. I am a semiretired clinical psychologist and I now have the time to daysail a couple of days a week in the bays around Pensacola. I am still doing some evaluations of infants and toddlers with developmental problems, so extended periods of free time are not
    yet easily available. I'll look forward to following your adventures with Annie. Keep up your inspiring posts. Lew Davidson, s/v Killybeggs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lew,
    Thank you for the kind words. I hope you have a chance to go on an extended cruise at some point. It was a very meaningful experience for me. Maybe we will meet up on a West Coast Trailer Sailor event someday soon.
    Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete