Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Hot Time in the Oldest Town

It has been mighty hot here this week. 95-100. My young cousin Mark is helping me out this week refinish the bedroom floors and painting around the house. He will be a junior in college in Georgia and was having a hard time finding work like so many other young people. So we have moved everything out and are camping out wherever we can find a cool spot. Today I finally had had enough and hitched up Annie's "li' sis" Becky Thatcher and headed out to Salt Run.

We put in at the lighthouse ramp and sailed north out past the St. Augustine inlet. The tide and current were opposed and we slipped from side to side and crossed over many whirlpools. After a couple of cool down swims we sailed to the north shore of the inlet at Vilano. I grabbed this shot of Mark and Becky with my Iphone. We might have to do this again tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment