Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, May 19, 2011

Looking Back

I am starting this log a bit late. There is much I want to share both from the recent past and from future adventures. Let's have a go at it...




GRP Drascombe Coaster

Drascombes are built in GRP in England from the the licensed designs of the late John Watkinson. They are well-tested coastal cruisers that are very popular around the British Isles, France and the Netherlands. A used Coaster turns up for sale in the US from time to time, but my hunt fell short. While researching I found that Drascombes were being made on this side of 'the pond' by Ted Perry at East West Custom Boats, and in wood to boot (my preference for sure!)... and the cost was less (factoring shipping) than a boat imported from England. Ted and I worked together to come up with the design... his first cabin Drascombe. In six months she was delivered to my front door. Exceptional work.


Installing Bulkheads

Flow coated with WEST epoxy 


Launching at Kittery Point

No comments:

Post a Comment