Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, May 15, 2014

Unfinished Business and More

I recently returned from a week-long single-handed trip aboard Annie. We crossed the Chesapeake and explored islands on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia as well as rendezvousing with friends on the annual "Chesapeake Float" on the Nanticoke River. I had attempted to sail for Smith Island and its vicinity a year ago but was impeded by cold weather, high winds and steep seas. This year I was luckier.


After being invited to join the "float" group, I decided to trailer from Gwynn's Island to Smith Point above Reedville. The alternatives were to trailer 5 hours or so over the bridge near Annapolis or head SE to the Norfolk area, cross the Bay Bridge/Tunnel and north (at least 5 hours for me). I decided to on Smith Point.


Annie is ready to go in the water at Smith Point Marina


Smith Point is where the Potomac enters the Chesapeake and adjacent to the shipping channel that funnels up and down the Bay. It can be rough. I was fortunate to have good weather. The first day was spent driving, provisioning and rigging, taking a side trip to the marine railway in Reedville, and anchoring in the calm waters of the Little Wicomico. More sorting out of gear.. the first extended trip of the season... and last minute checks on waypoints before bed.


At the Railway

Little Wicomico

2 comments:

  1. Curt,

    Not that you needed it but I just had the channel out of Little Wicomico River dredged, in fact the contractor lost a 500 lb anchor in the channel. You know, just in case Annie needs one?

    Kevin B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would fit nicely in the cockpit. You just can't be too prepared.

    ReplyDelete