Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Friday, May 20, 2011

Return to the Outer Banks Day 1

At the end of April I set out from St. Augustine for a two week sail through the Pamlico Sound and Southern Outer Banks of North Carolina. These were part of my sailing roots going back over 30 years. I had been planning and provisioning for months and the experience exceeded my every expectation. Many thanks to Steve Early, my family and friends, and all the folks I met on the way for helping Annie and I make this an adventure one not to forget.

On the road... overnighting aboard at Sleepy Bear Campground, Lumberton, NC
Day 1
I put in at Paradise Marina on Broad Creek where the Neuse River meets the Pamlico Sound. After numerous tacks to windward I cleared the shoal buoys and ran down to the shallow entrance of Swan Creek. Steve Early had gone ahead and was waiting in the protected water. As we were rafting up Alan 'SOS' comes gliding over the bar and we all hang out and anchor apart, leaving out the next morning. They sailed north to the Bay River and I, south to Oriental.

First night on the water, Swan Creek, Neuse River rafted with Steve Early and Spartina
...Check out 
Steve's log, it 's a treasure of information!

No comments:

Post a Comment