Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Wester

Pamlico 2016    May 8    
Day 5


I woke from solid sleep. Nice to be still after a long run. The sunset the night before had been enough to know that there was still good in the world.
 










I motored through Old Canal and sailed north on Turnagain Bay on a wester. Not one boat had I seen since Atlantic.







  






Crossed the Neuse River on a beam reach in a 20 kt wind... double reefed main and 1/2 furled jib. It was hard going with the chop swell on the beam. Lot of rolling and an occasional punch. Contemplated continuing north but wasn't sure of the marked prohibited area and turned back to retrace my track up Jones Bay. The wester funneled out the bay and after an hour of sloppy beating I motored into the ICW cut toward the Pamlico River. 

Anchored in lower Spring Creek away from land to get a breeze. 
29 naut. miles, 3.8 average, 7.1 kt. max, 7.1 hrs. moving time









No comments:

Post a Comment