Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Monday, May 16, 2016

Pamlico 2016 Preface

April 30 (one week before departure)

Annie has been at Morningstar Marina across from Gwynn's Island over the winter. I had received a notice that their rates were going up substantially and seeing that it only included a parking spot in a field, I started looking elsewhere. I did however, before leaving flush the engine, having been winterized. Problem: no water pumping through. I had not replaced the impeller since commissioning in 2007 for it had always worked perfectly. Guess that's no excuse for preventative scheduled maintenance. To further complicate I had not brought sufficient tools.

I was able to locate a kit. The yard had a guy that worked on motors but proved to be a bit challenged. He struggled with reattaching the shift linkage and I was charged less hours due to his shortcomings. Four hours (!) later she was pumping like a champ.





My gallery owner Ben invited me to move over to his house on East River below Mathews. We backed in beside a shed and I went home to wait out the rain prior to heading south.




No comments:

Post a Comment