Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, October 29, 2020

Dwarfed...politically

Sunday September 27

I awoke snug in the Crockett's forepeak. It was extremely wet and muggy outside and the little bulkhead AC had somewhat dried me and my foulies. I climbed out, unlocked Annie and made ready for a crisp run north. We were heading out the entrance at 0830 and meandered east at 2 kts in a light breeze. Passing Windmill Point at the entrance to the Rappahannock a dense fog set in. It didn't last long to my liking. The SW wind picked up a few knots off Fleets Bay. The sun peaked out around 1300 and we slowly tracked on. 





The wind and sun came up and out beautifully, I started reaching aimlessly. Balancing the sails we wandered back and forth in the Bay. Leaving the tiller free, Annie moved along freely. Once we went for a half hour untended. Marvelous.

A long shoal running north and south to the east formed the tack point as I crossed over and back in this grand frivolity. On one outbound tack I saw a long noth-south wave coming at us. It looked like a miniture tsunami. Annie rose up and over as it moved landward. Then all at once the wave- possibly a hundred yards long- broke on the shoal. I thought of the 'Castaway' and the atoll where 'Wilson' was lost. I suppose it was a wake but I had not seen a boat in a half hour or so. Odd.


Hands free


A little more drying time


Around 1500 we rounded the shoal and started NE into the Great Wicomico River. A couple speedboats blew by and I noticed scores more on the upriver horizon. Then they were streaming by, many up the creek to Reedville and others out and into the Bay. It was a full-fledged flag-flying Trump rally. I was overcome, like stepping in a nest of ground bees.


Trump Patrol


Menhaden docks

It seemed to disperse more quickly than I feared it would and I found a quiet spot in the little Fleet Bay just south of the menhaden docks.             


32.3 NMiles

No comments:

Post a Comment