Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, April 14, 2016

A Memorable Winter

Spring is here and I am not ready. My cruising itch has returned but my head and body has been everywhere. That's not to say that it has been static, just different. Eleanor and I spent a chunk of the winter as artists-in-residence in a small mountain town in Costa Rica. We taught kids and adults, worked on our personal projects and immersed ourselves in the community. My Spanish improved  living with a Tico family, but I am losing it just as fast. I got an app.... now to practice for our return next year.

Annie's spars are newly varnished and I am sorting through gear and stashing food stuffs for a May sail in the sounds and rivers of eastern North Carolina. Just ordered a portable charger for my phone. I don't know that I will need it, as I don't use the phone much on the boat, but one can never have enough back up.

The beginning of May looks to be a good time to set out. First to Mathews County to load up and then south through eastern Virginia and on to Hobucken, a small town that my friend Steve speaks highly of. He may be in the area at that time and we always enjoy an unplanned get-together.

In honor of this plan (and to keep me focused) ... here are some pics from past spring trips...



















No comments:

Post a Comment