Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Saturday, May 31, 2014

Tangier

Day 6
The wind had temporarily clocked around to the NW and with the forecast calling for a return to SW the next day, It seemed advantageous and a bit more adventurous to head south and then reach west later. Tangier Island lay south and being a 'must visit'... I set off leaving Smith Island far to starboard.

I usually sail barefoot. And it is a good thing because, in my water sandals, I slipped on wet port rail and landed on my shin. A 'goose egg' for the mistake...





Tangier Sound was busy in the morning with work boats running north and south. Within a couple of hours the channel penetrating the shallow eastern side on the island came into view. The channel was blocked by a dredging barge that was pushed aside as I squeezed through the narrow channel. I continued along the thorofare, tied up to a deserted dock and went ashore.







It was Sunday morning, everyone was in church and the tourist ferry had not yet arrived. I passed rows of battered fish huts, simple but well maintained houses and yards full of crab buoys, boat parts and nets  either being mended or in need. Having been up and sailing I was ready for lunch... just a little too early. One restraurant was preparing to open for the noon after-church business. The other two were still closed for the off-season. 

I was informed that I needed to move Annie to another dock and headed back. Tying up at James Parks Marina and returned for a sandwich. After lunch as I started out to explore Mr. Parks intercepted me on his golf cart and took me back to retie again. Seems Annie was sitting in a slip soon to be occupied by a big motor yacht. If I didn't have cleating skills, I do now.






Tourist ferry arrives...



Stalled construction






Folded flounder


New traps for the new season



PVC pipe pilings



Christmas artifact






Easter colors



Sea level resting place



A buoy fence 'necklace'








Decided to move down to the south end of the island for the afternoon and the evening's anchorage. Friend Steve had talked about the protected spit on the south end of the island. As I approached the small inlet to curve behind, Annie ran aground in heavy grass. It was dead low tide so after throwing out the anchor I hiked around the point and found the inner bay dry except for scattered tide pools. They were populated with skimmers and oyster catchers. The sun was warm and it was very quiet. 



Passing the harbor dredge heading south                                                                      





In the grass


























As the sun set and the tide rose I anchored out in deeper water to insure that leaving in the morning wouldn't be delayed. If the truth be told... staying around wouldn't have been the worse thing.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to spend a summer on that Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water's beautiful, the people are nice... it could be you!

    ReplyDelete