Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...

Friday, May 16, 2014

Crossing Over

Day 2
I woke early as I usually do when there is open water to cross. After eating my fortified oatmeal and drinking a cup of Earl Grey, I motored out the river, through the breakwater and into the Bay. Winds were light from the SE until 7am when it freshened, enabling a close reach at about 4knots. It dropped off around 8:45 and I tacked toward Smith Island sliding north with the flood.

Full sail

Intermittent showers throughout the morning

Crossing the shipping lane

Motoring through the breakwater around 10:45 Annie slipped into Ewell, the small but largest town on the island.  It was pretty quiet except for the activity around the fishing boats unloading at the docks. I toured the small museum and after finding Rukes closed, stumbled on a small grocery that made sandwiches. I had been to the island some 25 years before to consult on the feasibility of developing the museum. It didn't seem that long ago. But not much does.

Entrance to Smith Island

On return to the dock, I was somewhat surprised to meet my friends Mike and Kevin. We had loosely communicated about a rendezvous but with no time plan. They were aboard Kevin's Marsh Cat that they had launched at the Janes Island Campground on the mainland to the east. They grabbed a crabcake sandwich and we explored a bit on foot before heading to Tylerton on the island to the south. Even smaller and more remote I was taken by the hard scrabble existence these island people endure.

Kevin & Mike

Little T, Kevin's Marsh Cat

Aptly named I must say...

Kevin and Mike had located a somewhat sheltered anchorage behind a dredge spoil and we turned in early. It had been a full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment