Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Friday, August 26, 2011

Pepper and Irene

Hurricane Irene just passed offshore. The surf has been pummeling the beach and rain bands are dropping needed water. I have finished repairs on Annie and moved Becky Thatcher into the shop. We are still between jobs and the opportunity to catch up on the boats is hard to pass up. Becky of getting new oars... her old ones are worn out. I've been listening to classical tunes and enjoying the breeze blowing through one roll-up door and out the other.


Glueing up the blade
Tools from my fish carving days in Santa Fe

My drawknife was last sharpened in 1993. Pepper Langley, the master carver and modelmaker at the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons Island, Maryland, put an edge on it for me. I have used it on many oars and spars over the years and it is as sharp as the day he honed it. Pepper has passed on but not the edge.




Working down the shaft


Wood whiskers

Becky in the shade

Pictorial inspiration

Northwest dreamin'

Glue Station


No comments:

Post a Comment