Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, July 31, 2014

Urbanna Revisited

With a scheduled meeting at the Deltaville Maritime Museum I decided to get out on the Rappahannock. When I arrived yesterday morning is was cool and there was 8-10 knots of wind. Using the boat ramp at the Urbanna Town Dock it was easy to quickly move into the river. Sailing east northeast on a reach, we meandered into Corrotoman Bay and after a few hours turned back to make the meeting. 



The ramp pier was well populated with kids at day camp from the local YMCA. They were crabbing and fishing and having great time.




On return from Deltaville I passed beautiful farms that flowed toward the river. It reminded me of when we lived in an old farm house overlooking the Patuxent River in Southern Maryland. But that's another story.



Grabbed a nice dinner in town and found a quiet place to anchor in Urbanna Creek. With a low dew point I decided to slept in the cockpit under the stars. 







Morning started a beautiful day as I watched watermen work the creek.




My friends John and Vera... at whose place I store Annie... left out just before my return. They are taking the museum's buyboat F.D. Crockett to Washington DC via the Potomac River. They have an annual meet-up and are leading players in buyboat preservation on the Bay.

So as I buttoned up Annie I took these pics of their world... 






John sells white cedar boat wood



They have quite a collection



Ultralights











A quick trip... but we got on the water. What more can I say?


3 comments:

  1. I'd say you accomplished what you set out to do! Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful evening shot of the glassy water and boathouse!

    ReplyDelete