Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Sunday, August 18, 2013

Annie... down below

Friday was a beautiful day and I had it off. I've seemed to have become a handyman for several clients. It affords me a lot of independence such as painting and sailing, and I appreciate that. 

It would have been swell sailing day but opted to deep clean. I have had requests from online friends to describe the interior of Annie, a one-off Drascombe. So as I swabbed, I got these snaps...

You are looking aft, starboard side. The door is storage
under the bridge deck and the centerplate trunk is on the right.
I had just replaced the teak floor boards. The wheel is take-up for the
 centerplate line that leads out to the cockpit. 


I made a padded filler to span the well


This makes a level sleeping area



Storage netting extends around both sides with a
heavy bungee threaded through the top


Since I am rather thin I use a 2 1/2"
self inflatable mattress


Here is the berth made up. It is out of the way with the
 companionway on the port side.



Looking forward there are two compartments with heavy gear:  extra claw anchor
water and tools



With hatches replaced



Originally the centerplate trunk extended
forward. Since the stainless plate did not fill the entire well
I was able to make a substantial cut-out that afforded
more room to move about below


Brass door "button"


Small forepeak area beyond the forward bulkhead






Small ventilation hatch



Shelf for books, charts and registration papers with leather 'lee cloth'



Aft cabin coaming basket storage for quick grabs



Centerplate well cover with removable fiddles




Looking aft, port side. The companionway is above and the gusher pump
plumbing can be seen inside the bridge deck storage.


Cleaning the cockpit bilge

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a well sorted boat, time spent aboard thinking and arranging is at least as valuable and fun as sailing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Ship Shape Curt, It must be great to be able to stow everything and leave it on board. I spend more time packing than sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe Annie is fairly well sorted although I tend to change things rather often. The boat cover she wears while on her trailer makes for dry and secure storage. I do remove all electronics, batteries, food and such. Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures Curt. I'll have to sleep in the cockpit, right? I have one of those self-inflating pads, too.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's right. There is a filler board that spans the port side of the cockpit making it a berth. Annie has a nice, dry cockpit tent. The port cockpit berth balances my starboard berth below.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pics, Curt. Aways enjoy your posts. Would love to see Annie one day ...

    Regards,

    John
    Winston Salem, NC

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed that tour of your cabin. It seems so much more practical than my own. I'm feeling inspired to make a few changes to my own cabin, starting with some netting along at least one side wall, probably both. Keep up the fantastic work with the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome little boat you have there Curt. Some clever ideas. Thanks for sharing. Randy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all for your comments and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to all for your comments and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete