Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Across and Up

October 5, 2019

I decided for a fall cruise I would head north to Maryland's Chesapeake western shore, cross over and explore the eastern shore north of my previous trips. Having Annie in Richmond made it easy to get away early, so I left out at 5am and trailed to Shady Side. I arrived at Backyard Boats and took my time to rig and ready Annie. The trailer repairs had held well and I was satisfied with the preparations. There was even a hose to rinse the trailer after launch.



We headed out the cove around 10 am and across the bay. Wind 8-10 NE overcast. Long reach ESE around Kent Point and long tacks up the Eastern Bay to Kent Narrows. Entering the Chester River in the late afternoon my friend Steve, who had been out for a week, communicated about the possibility of a rendezvous in the East Fork of Langford Creek. I had decided to tuck in earlier but with the sky clearing and a nice ENE breeze I forged on. It was almost dark as Annie approached Steve's Spartina, buttoned up for the night. I dropped anchor down the way and turned in after a long day.  46.0 miles


Spartina in for the night



No comments:

Post a Comment