Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Friday, September 13, 2019

Overdo

Annie's trailer came with her when I took delivery 12 years ago. It has hauled her a couple thousand miles and has been a good one for sure. But as you probably know galvanized steel fittings don't last forever.

The roller pins were shot and the bunk supports were rusting through. I deduced that the front rollers were taking the brunt and that by repositioning her a foot aft, the load would be better balanced. So a lot of metal grinding, sawzalling (there's a word for you) and online and store shopping commenced.

John England, who is in my opinion the best for just about anything 'boat', lifted and chocked Annie. I was then able to pull out the trailer and start disassembling. I have another day in Urbanna to finish but it has turned out to be an enjoyable, albeit dirty, job that is going to make a lot of difference and open up another adventure later this fall.


Trailer extraction




Crunched



The bunk came off to easy



Left: old, right: new

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the fun stuff! ANNIE definitely deserves it, and she is lucky to have John there to help her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are making me feel guilty Curt. Arwen's trailer is in poor repair - I replaced the bearings last year but the rollers are those hard plastic ones and they are wreaking havoc on her bottom - the paint is chipped and flaking off. I guess I need to replace them for rubber ones. In fact I ought to look at which rollers are needed and which I can do without. The trailer was never designed for Arwen's hull - i sort of got it second hand. Now I guess is the time to go sort a lifting!

    ReplyDelete