Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Saturday, December 13, 2014

Winding Down

2014 is steadily nearing its run. It was a good year for being on the water and exploring what it means to those who work it and those who use it to find themselves. I count myself among the later.

I spent a lot of this year painting maritime, both representational- for the most part images of waterman and their work boats; and abstract, non-objective pieces that reflect (I hope well) my on-board feelings that range from tranquility and wonderment to moments of fear.

I really enjoyed sailing across to the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia this past year, and 'sneaking around' the beautiful Rappahannock River and its creeks.

Its our second year here in Virginia, and the end of the first year in our house in Richmond we call Base Camp. I believe we will be here for a while. We are making new friends and there is a lot of the Chesapeake and Outer Banks left to discover.

Off to Kentucky tomorrow for a few days to play a bluegrass Christmas gig then back home with the girls. Its a great time of year and I am quite lucky in more ways than I probably know. I hope everyone reading this is well, with their families this holiday and staying warm fixing and renewing their boats in anticipation for spring.





2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a good 2014 and thanks for sharing a few insights with us. The more I read the more I want to come and explore, you're lucky to have such great cruising areas. Max

    ReplyDelete