Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My First Drascombe

Today I read more in the Log of Spartina about my friend Steve's new friendship with Webb Chiles. If you sail a small boat or maybe any boat for that matter you have probably read about the adventures of Webb Chiles and his Drascombe Lugger. If not, crank up your Google... its some of the best.


Webb Chiles aboard Chidiock Tichborne, 1978

I was lucky to find a Lugger back in the early 1990s in Southern Maryland. I was working as a curator at the Calvert Marine Museum and among other things she became my 'research vessel' and commuter craft. We lived out near the end of Drum Point and to get to work I would drive inland and turn back southeast to Solomons Island. It was much closer by water, so many days I would get out early and sail/motor along the creeks and tie up at work beside the bugeye Wm. B. Tennison under the old Drum Point Lighthouse. In the late afternoon 'we' would return as the sun set.

Maggie Mae belongs to a friend there now and I am sure she still cuts the water along the Maryland Chesapeake.


Maggie Mae

1 comment: