Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Great Guy

I named Annie after my mother... for her bright, adventurous spirit. But there is much more to single-handing in a small traditional boat than adventure. Along the way you must learn, plan, experiment, and fail. There is a constant parade of decisions and problems to be solved, often in the moment and full of consequences. I am a pretty handy guy that can fix things and work through adversity. I love the outdoors and thrive when I have a chance to be a part of nature. Those qualities come from my father. He passed away a few weeks ago and left our family a lot of memories. He was great guy.

I took this photo in 1980. I was waiting for a haul-out in Oriental, NC on my way south to Florida. Dad had driven down from Hickory and together we repaired Quelle's (page 24) leaking transom.

Bernette Lindon Bowman
1923-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment