Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Wednesday, May 15, 2019

A Slight Wrinkle

Sunday May 5

I picked up Noah at 0830 and we headed to Urbanna to get Annie. Hitched up we headed south over the York River and then the James. Just as we were entering North Carolina I noticed the trailer vibrating. I pulled into a dirt parking area next to an abandoned Ruritan Club to inspect. The port side wheel bearing had given up and the hub was smoking. My first thought was that the trip might be over. But we took the jack from the 4Runner and with cement blocks found by the building we were able to get the wheel off and then the hub. The spindle was undamaged and we hastily bagged up the parts and drove back north to an automotive store that was still open for an hour or so.

As we got closer we saw another closer store. Skeptically I asked if they had any parts and the man turned toward the shelves and set down the whole hub assembly, packed with grease. It even had new lug nuts. Noah grabbed a grease gun and a cartridge and we started back south. I was feeling a lot better.

Everything went smoothly and we were back on the road with only two hours lost. Luck was on our side.







We reached Potter's Marine at 1730 and after launching we went to Bath for a meal. On our return we barely got the cockpit tent up when a downpour set in. By the time it abated it was dark so we stayed overnight at the dock.


No comments:

Post a Comment