Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Monday, June 1, 2015

Becky Thatcher (the first)

I have had two Becky Thatchers. My Drascombe Scaffie brought me back to small craft sailing. But the first was also my first build. She was a 12 ft sailing skiff. Recently uncovered old slides and was happy to find this image... 24 years later. How about that paint job!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Curt. Been following your blog for some time now and briefly traded comments with ya a couple of years back. I've recently located a Longboat Cruiser that I have the opportunity to buy. I'm hoping to gunk hole the rivers of the Chesapeake and inshore North Carolina during my upcoming retirement. I realize these boats have limitation, or shall I say "peculiarities" with their rudders in shallow waters (I think you had once referred to as "it's a Drascombe thing"). I have read of rudder travails on the Drascombe UK site. Steerage with a sculling oar seems to be the solution for thin water sailing. I was wondering if you would share your feelings on the use of these boats in these conditions by a novice sailor. Regards, John M in WS, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    I have, through practice, gotten quite comfortable with the rudder and sculling oar. It took a while but is not hard. I do encourage you to sail the Longboat Cruiser and go through the drill a couple times. It will inform you quickly. The take away for me is that the more I sail Annie, the happier I am! If you want more advice or specific info... just let me know.

    ReplyDelete