Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Thursday, February 14, 2013

Work Day

I arrived at Van & Denise's place on Pepper Creek yesterday, late morning. I was there to pick up Annie and had brought a small load of firewood to share. The fields were pretty soggy from the rains and it was a slow, deliberate tow out. Headed back north up the neck and turned off toward Gwynn's Island. On arriving at Morningstar Marina I found the office closed and not a soul about. The 'boat on trailer' area was open so I decided to back the rig in and get about my work.

Winterizing had alluded me. I knew it important for the outboard but with spending so much time in North Carolina and still in the Florida head, it had gone undone and fear of repercussions had set in. With fogger, 10-40 oil, a new spark plug, gear oil and crossed fingers I set in. All went well until it came to the oil drain plug. The supplied wrench (they are never the best) started to strip the hex head and I stopped. I fashioned a water bottle/water tubing suction device that worked well pulling out the old oil. All and all the maintenance, albeit late, felt positive. 

I emptied out gear that had been left aboard, did a bit of cleaning, and found the wast oil dump. Although the place was deserted the clean restroom/ shower was open. Left a note, locked the trailer ball and headed back west.


Gwynn's Island road cut-off landmark: the old Donk's Theater



A temporary mess



Works great!



Callis Wharf on the island across Middle Grounds




Gwynn's Island swing bridge from Morningstar



2 comments:

  1. Hi Curt
    I enjoy following your blog. The Drascombe Coaster has always been a fav of mine and I would have happily bought one if one could have been found! In the end I built a Chebacco which I think shares many traits with the Coaster. Love the photo of the gear spread about - all too familiar. Here is the link to my humble blog:
    http://chebaccowanderings.blogspot.ca/

    Randy
    Vancouver, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Randy,
    Thanks for the note. I'll never forget Bluster on the cover of Small Boat Advisor. One of my all time favorite boat photos. I hope to see you sometime in your neck of the woods. I am adding you to my blog list... keep up the good reporting!

    ReplyDelete