Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Monday, February 24, 2014

Staying Warm on Land and at Sea

I am restoring my Dad's old Sunny Jim wood stove that he had in his workshop for as long as I can remember. My cousin rescued it from Dad's house before it sold and we picked it up on a trip to North Carolina this past weekend. It will be a welcome addition to the studio although much of this winter has passed.

Stove Black saves the day

Wood stoves are great in most any situation, but onboard a traditional sailboat... I believe that's the best. If I had a bit larger cabin (Annie is just to small) and a deep pocket- the Sardine would be first choice. The green enamel one below is on the Scandinavian workboat/yacht Sjogin. More here.


What's not to like?

I did have a small wood stove on my first boat Quelle. A picture is buried in our Florida storage but here is a shot that shows the Charlie Noble chimney on the bottom right.


Winged out in late afternoon, 1979

So grab your stocking cap and some fat lighter, cook the coffee and unplug the bottle of Irish! The rest of the winter will be fine. Just sayin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment