Since 1978 I have been fortunate to sail wooden boats. In 2006 I set out to find a Drascombe Longboat Cruiser for single-handed expedition sailing. This is the continuing story of how it came to be, our adventures, notes on the maritime world and other things I don't want to forget...


Saturday, July 20, 2013

From the Past

I found this image as I was looking through old picture files. I had downloaded it from a site that cannot be recalled and the location is unknown- to me that is. The young oyster tongers and wharf hands spoke to me then and still do. 

It has been said that the Chesapeake has less than 1% of the oyster population that there once was. According to NOAA- "Now, after decades of damage to reefs from harvest, increased disease, falling salinity due to the increased runoff that accompanies increased impervious surface, and increased sedimentation from runoff, a significant amount of hard bottom habitat has been lost." 

This is not news to most of the people that live in the Chesapeake area. Restoration progress has been made. Hopefully there is more to come. 





No comments:

Post a Comment